For three years (2013-2015), WID hosted an annual fitness fair at the beautiful Ed Roberts Campus. Partnering with organizations like AXIS Dance Company and Bay Area Outreach and Recreation Program (BORP), WID brought together the Bay Area’s best leaders and teachers in adaptive fitness, recreation, and nutrition.
Questions the fitness fair aimed to address:
- Why does it seem as if there is a disconnect between “disability” and “fitness”?
- Why do each of us struggle with finding options for our bodies and our particular health needs?
- How can we improve our nutrition and health and find ways to have fun while doing it?
“The most important thing I learned was to be aware of your own unique body!” -Participant
What the fitness fair offered:
- Yoga and movement classes for all bodies
- Physically Integrated Dance classes
- Adaptive Cycling Demonstrations by BORP
- Resource tables on recreation, adventures, and accessible team sports
- Cooking and nutrition classes
- Light refreshments
- Plus door prizes and raffles
These three fitness fairs were well-received by the local disability community, and WID hopes to hold another in the future.
Main content end