The World Institute on Disability (WID) was established in 1983 as one of the first global disability rights organizational think tanks, founded and continually led by people with disabilities. WID works to advance the rights and opportunities of over one billion people with disabilities worldwide, bringing research and policy into action and operationalizing inclusion.
Our work centers around Digital Tools for Optimizing Community Living and Employment; Accessibility Solutions; and Excellence in Disability Inclusive Emergency Preparedness, Disaster Risk Reduction, and Climate Resilience and has included groundbreaking work in disability benefits, financial literacy, healthcare equity and social justice empowerment. WID is a nonprofit 501(c) (3) organization recognized by the US Internal Revenue Service.
The Board of Directors and staff, over half of whom are people with disabilities, are respected national leaders in the disability rights field as well as in industry, government, and social services. This enables WID to bring a cross-disability perspective to the policy arena. Information on WID’s programs can be found at www.wid.org.
The Director of Marketing and Communications reports directly to the Executive Director/CEO and is responsible for creating and overseeing all WID’s communication functions. This includes the planning, development and execution of the organization’s marketing, public relations, public awareness and communications strategies. This position also oversees all creative projects, organizational branding and messaging, annual report and helps direct annual event strategy. This role will serve as a key member of the leadership team. The ideal candidate is an experienced leader with demonstrated success in defining marketing campaigns and developing executable communications plans to support organizational goals and objectives and developing interdependent strategic alliances among key stakeholders.
- Act as a thought-leader and change-agent across all aspects of marketing: communications, digital marketing, public relations, messaging and brand, content marketing and events.
- Continuously develop and evolve the WID brand to differentiate and elevate WID as a systems-change leader globally, and across sectors.
- Be an expert at writing compelling content to multiple target audiences and simplifying complex concepts and data into content for all communications channels – social, email, web, etc.
- Develop brand communication strategies that reflect the vision of WID that result in integrated marketing executions and multi-channel communications.
- Successfully use analytics, market research, communications, public relations, cause and digital marketing to generate profitable leads, donations/investments, and grow community partnerships and strategic alliances.
- Lead all marketing projects including research reports, translating policy implications into workplace and marketplace adoption, collateral, donor and strategic communications, online campaigns, targeted marketing, cause-related and multimedia including video production.
- Manage the strategy, creation and execution of all branding, website content, public relations, social media and marketing campaigns and serve as a key content writer and editor for the organization.
- Create strategy for consistently delivering great end-to-end customer experience across stages, channels and touchpoints for WIDs supporters, members, partners, etc.
- Leverage existing and additional relevant technologies for reporting and analytics across external facing functions and channels.
- Evaluate data and methods to select measurements, reports and metrics that provide clear and valuable insights into WID customer behavior, experience and loyalty.
- Research, identify and maintain friendly business communications with potential donors and sponsors and implement strategies to foster positive relationships.
- Develop and organize all aspects of WID’s fundraising programs including mailings and annual fundraising drives.
- Grow a major gifts program including identification, cultivation, solicitation and ongoing liaison with major donors.
- In collaboration with WID’s executive team, manage grant seeking efforts including research, proposal writing, and reporting requirements.
- Able to juggle multiple tasks with competing deadlines.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience with independent living philosophy and the larger social justice movement.
- Develops and maintains a thorough knowledge of the issues and concerns of people with disabilities and the intersections with stakeholders and funders.
- Understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of population.
- Demonstrated initiative to raise funds at a level that meets or exceeds annual goals.
- Understands all facets of marketing and communications, duties and responsibilities, keeps job knowledge current.
- Builds and leads strong teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
- Develops people to meet both their career goals and the organization’s goals.
- Paints a compelling picture of the vision and strategy that motivates others into action.
- Maneuvers comfortably through complex policy, process and people related organizational dynamics.
- Recognizes the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to an organization.
- Adapts approach and demeanor in real time to match the shifting demands of different situations.
- Ability to travel for project-related assignments.
Education & Expertise:
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, English, or other business-related field or equivalent hands-on experience.
- 5+ years of marketing experience, preferably in a nonprofit and disability related field.
- 3+ years managerial experience with demonstrated expertise in managing a team with diverse capabilities.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to interact effectively with the Leadership Team.
Exempt, full-time, generous benefits package
Commensurate with experience
Send resume, cover letter, salary requirements and references to: World Institute on Disability; EMAIL: Kat Zigmont – firstname.lastname@example.org
(WID acknowledges receipt of applications by email only)
May 29, 2020 by 5pm PDT
Proposed Start Date:
Address reasonable accommodation requests for the application/interview process to email@example.com.
WID is interested in remote candidates, national applicants encouraged.
WID cannot cover the cost of travel or relocation, but encourages all interested applicants to apply.
The World Institute on Disability is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity. Individuals will not be discriminated against regardless of race, ethnicity, religion (creed), national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability or veteran status, and other personal characteristics.
If you are having technical issues or accessibility issues on this site, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Main content end