The World Institute on Disability (WID) was established in 1983 as one of the first global disability rights organizational think tanks, founded and continually led by people with disabilities. WID works to advance the rights and opportunities of over one billion people with disabilities worldwide, bringing research and policy into action and operationalizing inclusion.
Our work centers around Digital Tools for Optimizing Community Living and Employment; Accessibility Solutions; and Excellence in Disability Inclusive Emergency Preparedness, Disaster Risk Reduction, and Climate Resilience and has included groundbreaking work in disability benefits, financial literacy, healthcare equity and social justice empowerment. WID is a nonprofit 501(c) (3) organization recognized by the US Internal Revenue Service.
The Board of Directors and staff, over half of whom are people with disabilities, are respected national leaders in the disability rights field as well as in industry, government, and social services. This enables WID to bring a cross-disability perspective to the policy arena. Information on WID’s programs can be found at www.wid.org.
This position has been filled. Please visit our Opportunities page to see current job opportunities.
The Technology Specialist reports to the Director of Operations, assists with WID’s technology operations, usability testing program, electronic and online communication. This position is responsible for proctoring usability testing sessions, analyzing issues, and reporting to clients in a manner that is clear and easy to understand. The Technology Specialist is responsible for the maintenance and expansion of the WID website, keeping an emphasis on accessibility and manages onsite and remote conference technology. This position requires multitasking, fast turn-arounds and strong team work experience.
Hours: 40 hours per week
- Manage the user testing participant list including recruitment of testers, as well as maintaining and updating the external intake form and the internal database of user testers and their relevant skill sets and testing abilities.
- Coordinate and proctor usability sessions.
- Keep abreast of assistive technology trends.
- Keep abreast of general online and app technology trends.
Website and Electronic Communication Development
- Update website content:
- Perform routine administration such as; edit pages, add pages, add/change menu items, and maintain content on WID’s WordPress site.
- Work with marketing to determine graphic needs within the website’s layout.
- Integrate graphics, audio, and video throughout website.
- Upkeep WID’s access standards to assure that the website meets universal accessibility standards for effective communication.
- Monitor website traffic analytics
Audio Visual (A/V) and Teleconference technical work
- Remote Open Captions at large scale events
- Work with conference A/V teams to secure remote open captioning equipment and appropriate line drops for WID supported events.
- Travel to be on-site contact to work with A/V teams to overlay captions on the main screens or on smaller screens when applicable.
- Teleconference and Webinar support
- Aids staff or clients with conducting video teleconference (VTC) sessions, which may include conference preparation, monitor VTC equipment and system performance.
- Experience using MS Office Suite, Dropbox, Zoom, Survey Gizmo, MailChimp, Google Apps suite and the Internet.
- Experience with JAWS, NVDA, Captioning, adaptive equipment and other assistive technology.
- Experience with WordPress business and Adobe suite.
- Strong understanding of Audio-Visual technologies used in event settings.
- Experience in database development and management.
- Professional writing and oral communication skills.
- Friendly, conscientious, organized, detail oriented, punctual.
- Works well independently, takes initiative.
- Quick learner, ability to problem solve.
- Ability to travel for project related assignments.
- Experience with technical report writing; particularly explaining complex information in an easy to understand manner.
- Experience creating PowerPoint documents and visual presentations of complex data.
- Experience with independent living philosophy and the larger social justice movement.
Director of Operations
Exempt, full-time, generous benefits package
Commensurate with experience
Send resume, cover letter, salary requirements and references to: World Institute on Disability; EMAIL: Kat Zigmont – firstname.lastname@example.org
(WID acknowledges receipt of applications by email only)
May 29, 2020 by 5pm PDT
Proposed Start Date:
Address reasonable accommodation requests for the application/interview process to email@example.com.
WID promotes a scent/chemical free environment. To support this effort, WID asks that all applicants refrain from wearing scented products while in its office.
WID is interested in remote candidates, national applicants encouraged.
WID cannot cover the cost of travel or relocation, but encourages all interested applicants to apply.
The World Institute on Disability is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity. Individuals will not be discriminated against regardless of race, ethnicity, religion (creed), national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability or veteran status, and other personal characteristics.
If you are having technical issues or accessibility issues on this site, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Main content end