The World Institute on Disability (WID) was established in 1983 as one of the first global disability rights organizational think tanks, founded and continually led by people with disabilities. WID works to advance the rights and opportunities of over one billion people with disabilities worldwide, bringing research and policy into action and operationalizing inclusion.
Our work centers around Digital Tools for Optimizing Community Living and Employment; Accessibility Solutions; and Excellence in Disability Inclusive Emergency Preparedness, Disaster Risk Reduction, and Climate Resilience and has included groundbreaking work in disability benefits, financial literacy, healthcare equity and social justice empowerment. WID is a nonprofit 501(c) (3) organization recognized by the US Internal Revenue Service.
The Board of Directors and staff, over half of whom are people with disabilities, are respected national leaders in the disability rights field as well as in industry, government, and social services. This enables WID to bring a cross-disability perspective to the policy arena. Information on WID’s programs can be found at www.wid.org.
The Marketing and Communication Specialist position reports to the Director of Marketing and Communications and supports all WID external communication efforts. We seek a digitally savvy and creative marketing and communications leader to develop and execute our social media, influencer marketing, and email campaigns. You will be responsible for content/messaging development for the website, print, email, marketing collateral (content and graphic development), and all social media campaigns. You will also be responsible for graphic design and video production efforts, ensuring that all content is accessible and in alignment with our Guiding Principles:
- Disability Led – Nothing About Us Without Us
- Intersectional and Globally Focused
- Disrupting exclusion and accelerating radical inclusion
- Advancing Human Rights and Social Justice Across the Life Span, leaving no one behind
- Cross-Disability Movement Solidarity
- Uncompromising Ethics, Integrity, and Accountability
Our team is small and nimble, so you’ll be able to get your hands dirty with every part of the marketing process and lead project assignments. You will need the ability to multi-task, work well in teams, respond quickly to project deadlines, and think like an activist AND business leader. If you enjoy a fast-paced environment, a great collaborative team culture, management that encourages you to grow to achieve your fullest potential, and an opportunity that makes a meaningful difference in people’s lives, we encourage you to apply!
HOURS: 40 hours per week
Please note this job announcement is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of all the activities, duties, or responsibilities required of you for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
A portion of your responsibilities will be content development. We are looking for an exceptional content development professional to create content (copy and graphics) geared toward attracting, informing, and engaging allies, prospects, partners, and clients. You will be responsible for creating accessible content in multiple formats, including email campaigns, marketing collateral, video scripts and production, webinars, blogs, datasheets, and infographics used across various platforms. Your responsibilities will be:
- Write, proofread, and edit content across programs and organization-wide.
- Web pages; including White Papers, online articles, and blog posts.
- Videos; including developing scripts, filming, editing, making accessible, and posting.
- Email marketing; developing email campaigns (copy and graphic images) and analyzing campaign performance to broaden WID’s brand presence and preference; producing quarterly newsletters, end of year and fundraiser campaigns, and other scheduled announcements.
- Brochures/flyers and other one-page information handouts.
- Presentation decks promoting WID’s brand value and services.
- Creating graphics using Adobe Creative Cloud applications, including:
- Premiere Pro
- Developing graphics and videos for social media, reports, websites, print materials, and infographics.
- Video storyboarding planning and video development, graphic design/illustration, digital storytelling, increasing WID’s social media influence and engagement, and successfully writing and editing copy will be essential aspects of success.
Social Media Communications
Your job will also entail enhancing our social media presence across multiple platforms. We’re looking for a rock star. A social media “influencer” or subject matter expert who is very skilled with a proven ability to develop, analyze, and execute campaigns that capture the attention, hearts, and minds of allies, prospects, partners, and clients. You will execute WID’s social media and influencer marketing efforts – translating business objectives into new campaigns, partnerships, and experiences while also providing the hands-on oversight to ensure timely and impactful program execution. You will need to possess a solid knowledge of social media trends and technology and a proven ability to champion new brand-building programs from concept through implementation. Your responsibilities will be:
- Grow WID’s presence on social media by creating content and posting regularly on WID programs and events.
- Increase and maximize WID’s use of social media ads and other tools.
- Conceptualize, develop, and execute WID brand awareness and fundraising social media campaigns.
- Analyze and report on the performance and efficiency of campaigns. Initiating and managing all social media campaigns from end-to-end on the following platforms:
- Keep abreast of assistive technology trends as it relates to social media.
- Develop social media relationships working with influencers and partners.
- Continuously monitor the social environment to recommend emerging social media platforms where WID should have a presence.
You will also have the unique opportunity to represent WID as a brand ambassador by supporting our virtual and onsite conferences where you will engage with WID allies, prospects, partners, and clients. To be successful, you will need to be detail-oriented, manage multiple projects to conclusion, professional, responsive, service-oriented, and work independently with limited supervision. Your responsibilities will be:
- Assist in planning, developing, and coordinating events by sending out solicitations, mailings, correspondence, and other pertinent materials.
- Work with WID team and volunteers on logistics leading up to and during the events.
- Willingness to travel to an onsite conference location, if needed.
- Committed to and demonstrated experience in lifting up and centering the voices and messages of multiply marginalized people with disabilities.
- At least two years of social media experience developing content, analyzing results, and successfully managing campaigns on Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, and Facebook.
- At least two years of experience developing and managing email campaigns with demonstrated results.
- Experience using M.S. Office Suite, Dropbox, Zoom, Survey Gizmo, MailChimp, and Google Analytics.
- Experience with digital accessibility, JAWS, NVDA, Captioning, and other assistive technology.
- Experience with WordPress business and Adobe, specifically using Premiere Pro, InDesign, and Illustrator.
- Excellent writing, editing, and oral communication skills.
- Friendly, conscientious, organized, detail-oriented, results-focused, and punctual.
- Works well independently, takes the initiative.
- Responsive to quick project turn-around.
- Quick learner, ability to problem solve.
- Open to receiving feedback and learning new processes and skills.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience is needed.
- Disability justice and international disability rights familiarity.
- Engaging young people and/or people with disabilities on social media.
- Independent living philosophy and a keen awareness of the broader social justice movement.
- Experience working for a nonprofit organization.
Reporting Relationship: Director of Marketing and Communications
Status: Exempt, full-time, generous benefits package
Location: Remote- must be eligible to work in the U.S. WID does not cover the cost of relocation, as this is a full-time remote position.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience
(WID acknowledges receipt of applications by email only)
Application Deadline: Open until Filled
Proposed Start Date: December 2020
Address reasonable accommodation requests for the application/interview process to email@example.com.
All applicants eligible to work in the U.S. are encouraged to apply. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
The World Institute on Disability is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity. Individuals will not be discriminated against regardless of race, ethnicity, religion (creed), national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability or veteran status, and other personal characteristics.
If you are having technical issues or accessibility issues on this site, email firstname.lastname@example.org.