WID E3 offers Benefits & Work Incentives content to guide individuals on disability benefits in order to better navigate the system for improved outcomes. It also develops community-based public policy recommendations on work and benefits at state and national levels.
Topics covered in this section focus primarily on Supplemental Security Income (SSI), with recognition of adults who may also be receiving Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits. The related work incentives are:
- General Income Exclusion and Earned Income Exclusion
- Impairment Related Work Expenses (IRWE) and Blind Work Expenses (BWE)
- Student Earned Income Exclusion (SEIE)
- Plan to Achieve Self-Support (PASS)
- Section 1619(a) and (b)
- Medicaid Buy-in and Section 301
- Trial Work Period (adults)
- Ticket to Work
- Reinstating Eligibility Without a New Application
- The Achieving a Better Life Experience (ABLE) Act
Disability Benefits 101
Disability Benefits 101 (DB101) provides community outreach, training, and web-based services that support employment in Alaska, Arizona, California, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, Ohio, and Kentucky (in development). Each state’s website has benefits and work calculators along with current information on health coverage, employment, and benefits that job seekers and workers with disabilities can use to plan employment.
In states where DB101 exists, trainings on how to best utilize the website to better understand the relationship between government and work are offered.
Click on the linked image below to go to the DB101 homepage where it will prompt you to choose your state from a checklist of the 8 states mentioned above.
Main content end